While many people still use Hotmail email addresses, it’s no longer possible to create new Hotmail accounts. However, a Microsoft Outlook account provides the same general experience and email services that made Hotmail a popular choice.
This article teaches you how to set up a Microsoft Outlook email account. You can only create a Microsoft Outlook account on the Outlook website as this feature isn’t possible with the Outlook mobile app.
How to Create a Hotmail Account – Full Guide
1. Open the Microsoft Outlook website. Go to https://www.outlook.com/ in your web browser.
2. Click Create account. It’s a link in the top-right side of the page.
3. Create your email address. Type your preferred email name into the “New email” text field in the middle of the page.
- You can select your email address’ domain (either @outlook.com or @hotmail.com) by clicking the downward-facing arrow on the right side of the “New email” field and then clicking the domain that you want to use in the drop-down menu.
4. Enter a password. Type the password that you want to use into the “Create password” text field that’s below the “New email” field.
- Make sure that your password includes a combination of letters and numbers.
5. Uncheck the “Send me promotional emails from Microsoft” box. If you don’t want to receive product offers from Microsoft, unchecking this box will opt out of Microsoft’s promotional email list.
- If you want to receive promotional emails, skip this step.
6. Click Next. It’s a blue button below the “Create password” text box.
7. Enter your first and last name. Type your first name into the “First name” text field, then type your last name into the “Last name” text field.
8. Click Next. It’s a blue button below the text fields.
9. Select a country or region. Click the “Country/region” drop-down box, then click your current location.
- Outlook will usually automatically detect and fill in this information for you.
10. Enter your date of birth. In the “Birthdate” section, click the Month box and select your birth month, then repeat for the Day and Year boxes.
11. Click Next.
12. Enter the verification code. You’ll see a list of distorted letters and numbers in a box in the middle of the page; type the contents of the box into the “Enter the characters you see” text field.
- You can click the New button to generate a new code.
- You can also click the Audio button to have the code read aloud to you.
13. Click Next. This blue button is at the bottom of the window. As long as you correctly entered the verification code, clicking Next will create your account and take you to the Outlook tutorial.