Australian Visa Application – Australia, officially known as the Commonwealth of Australia, is the 6th largest country in the world by total area. It is on the continent of Australia. The widely spoken language is Australian English.
The country has fascinating places with over 10,000 beaches that visitors would entirely love. It has a booming economy with a high life expectancy and low unemployment rate. If you are interested in getting an Australian Visa, then you are in the right place as we have compiled useful information about this.
Australian Visa Types
Australian visas have the conventional categories, enlisting the available Australian Visa types. These categories include: the short-term visas, and the work visas. We’ve taken out time to compile useful information about these visa types, so that you have all you need to know, and make a seamless choice. Find them below:
1. Short-Term Visas
These are visas issued for a short period of time, conventionally between three to six months. They are also usually issued to visitors, tourist, individuals travelling for businesses, and those travelling through Australia. They include the following:
- Visitors Visa: This lets you into Australia, for visits, business purposes for up to three, six or twelve months. It should be noted that you aren’t allowed to use this visa for work purposes, as there is a different visa for that.
- Bridging Visa
- Transit Visa
- Electronic Travel Authority: This is issued for short-term visits for tourism or business purposes, but is only available to passport holders from certain countries, location, or region. Most of the electronic travel authority visas are issued online between the Australian Department of Immigration and travel agents, airlines, or specialist service providers.
- eVisitor: This is a free visa if you are an eligible passport holder outside Australia, and you wish to work in Australia or visit for business or tourism.
- Work and Holiday Visa: The work and holiday visa is available for you if you are a young person between the ages of 18 and 30, and you wish to holiday or work in Australia for a period of one year. To apply for this visa, you must hold a valid passport from an eligible Country.
2. Work Visas
This is predominately for individuals who have a particular skill set in high demand in Australia, and the Australian Government or a key employer is willing to have you come over. To be eligible for this, then you must do the following:
- Apply for a skill select visa: Here, skilled workers and business people interested in migrating to Australia are been considered for a skilled visa by the applicant submitting an “Expression of Interest” (EOI) through skill select. An EOI is an indication that you would like to be considered for a skilled visa. It is not to be mistaken for a visa application.
- You can apply for a temporary work (skilled) visa. Applying for this indicates that you wish to travel to Australia to work in a nominated occupation for an approved employer for up to ten years.
The types mentioned above are further subdivided into categories and specifications. To access other Australia visa types and their requirements, visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs.
What are the requirements for an Australian Visa?
Persons who want to get visas to Australia must first meet the Australian character requirements. You must prove that they have no criminal records for at least a year. You might also have to provide a police certificate to support your claim. Apart from the Australian character requirements, there are certain important documents that would be needful in order to apply for an Australian visa. They include:
- An Australian visa application form.
- An International Passport or travel document valid for at least 6 months after the expiry of your visa. N:B: Your passport must have at least two unused page for entry/departure visa endorsements.
- A proof of the Australia visa application fee payment (An original receipt).
- A 29mmx34mm, colored passport with white background.
- Financial documents to provide that you can financially sustain yourself in Australia.
These documents might include:– bank statements- proof of earnings or the financial document of a guardian in the Cyprus that has sufficient resources to financially support you.
- A letter from your employer outlining the reason for your visit, who you will be meeting and details of any payment/expenses (for work visa applicants).
- Letter of Invitation (for visitor visa applicants).
- Travel Itinerary (for tourist visa applicants).
- Evidence of admission into an Australian university (for student visa applicants).
- Letter from a doctor or consultant in Australia showing:
– Details of health condition
– Cost and duration of treatment
– Location of treatment (for Private medical treatment visa applicants).
Most of the documents cut across all the different types of Cyprus Visas and some are peculiar to the visa type needed. Submitting fake documents result in an abrupt closure of the visa application, and seizing of the documents. Original documents are mandatory for your application.
Requirements for Entering Australia
Do you want to visit Australia with no hassles? You’ll be needing the following to ensure this.
- A valid and acceptable passport or travel document for your intended stay.
- At least one blank page in your passport to get your visa endorsement.
- A valid visa if required.
- Sufficient funds to sustain you. Bear in mind that the Country uses its own currency Australian dollars (AUD), and amounts over AUD 10,000 or it’s equivalent has to be declared before entry.
- A return ticket back to your home Country
- Adequate medical and health fitness tests. This may be required if you are coming from a Country with a disease outbreak.
Special Visa Requirements for Tourist Australian Visas
- A duly filled Form 1419A.
- Health assessment certificate – Polio and yellow fever vaccination certificate, and evidence of chest x-ray screening.
- Previous passports or visas and stamps to indicate your travel history.
- Proof of employment -current employment letter, company reference letter, etc.
- An Intended itinerary for your stay in Australia which includes airport pickup, hotel accommodation receipts, flight tickets, etc.
- A comprehensive travel health insurance cover for visitor’s whole stay in Australia.
- Police clearance certificate.
- Proof of motivation to return to back to home Country
Do I need a Visa to travel to Australia?
Citizen’s of countries such as Nigeria, Ghana, South Africa and a host of others, are required to have a visa before gaining entry into the Country, as the Country has maintained a universal visa regime, meaning that every non-citizen looking at traveling to Australia, must obtain a visa. However, Australia gives a visitor’s exemption to individuals who fall under the following categories:
- Citizens of one of the 36 eVisitors or 9 of the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) eligible countries.
- Citizens of New Zealand, under the Trans-Tasman Travel Management
- Visitors eligible for visa-free travel under other laws such as “Special purpose visa“.
How to Apply for an Australian Visa
Applicants can apply for Australian visas online or offline. For the online applications, every other application process is done online except for the biometric information which would be done through the visa application center.
The steps to apply for an Australian visa offline from Nigeria are as follows.
- Understand why you need a visa, and what type you need
- Download and fill the Australian Visa Application form
- Gather all the necessary supporting documents.
- Book an appointment at a Visa Application Centre
- Pay the visa application fee – cash
- Provide biometric information at the VAC.
The steps to apply for an Australian visa offline from Nigeria are as follows:
Open an ImmiAccount. This helps you access the Department’s online services, as you can apply for a visa or citizenship via this platform, check the progress of your application and track your application.
Fill the online application form
Enter passport details
Scan all the necessary documents
Attach the scanned files
Submit the application
Provide biometric information through a VAC.
Where to Get an Australian Visa Application Form
Australia visa forms are available for download online on the Australian Immigration website. This form, when downloaded should be filled and submitted to a Visa Application Center or the nearest Australian Embassy in your location.
How and Where to Pay Australian Visa Fees
Payments of the visa fees can be made in cash at the Visa application center. They could also be paid at the bank through the immiAccount using Credit cards. Once payments are made, applicants should collect a receipt as it is the only proof that payment was made.
How to Submit an Australian Visa Application
After the Australian visa form has been duly filled, it should be submitted at a visa application center alongside all the supporting documents. Missing or inappropriate documents might ruin an application.
Processing Time and Visa Tracking
If an applicant properly follows the due Australian visa application process, it might take about 4 weeks to process the visa.
Once the application process is done, every applicant is issued a Transaction Reference Number (TRN). Applicants can track the status of their Australian visa process with this unique number.
How to Collect Australian Visa
Applicants who have been granted visas would receive notifications via email. Depending on what means was earlier specified by the applicants, visa documents could be returned via courier service.
For the purpose of Nigerians, or other Nationals living in Nigeria, the following Australian Embassies are the go-to centers for your interviews and other inquiries. If you do not live in Nigeria, you can visit the nearest Embassy in your location.
Address and Location of Australian Visa Application Center in Nigeria
Address: 3rd Floor, El Yakub Muhktar Place, Zakariya Maimalari Street, CBD, Abuja
Working Days: Monday to Friday
Address: 5th & 6th Floors Etiebets Place, 21 Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja, Ikeja, Lagos
Working Days: Monday to Friday
Use our comment box below for more inquiries…